Email me

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Weight-y Wednesday...but Not Really.

It's Weighty Wednesday, but I think there may be more pressing matters on everyone's minds right now.

I live in Arkansas...which is right next door to Oklahoma (just in case anyone was geography illiterate).  The storms that raced through OK, came through AR too.  We were luckier in my state.

I am a mother of a small child.  I have lost family members throughout the years, including a brother, sisters, and my father.  I know loss.  So, I understand to a certain extent the grief that the communities in OK are feeling tonight.  One that I hope to never know, is the loss of a child.  I could not imagine the pain...the suffering...the fear.  And part of me distances myself from that pain I see on the tv and on the internet.  All the while hugging my daughter just a little bit tighter.

I won't lie.  I haven't watched or read one news organization concerning the aftermath of the tornadoes in Moore, OK.  I've seen some of the photos online and I read enough on my Facebook feed.  It's terrible.  It's tragic.  And I know that it can and HAS happened where I am in Central AR.

I know that we will all join together and help Moore and others rebuild.  That's what we do.  We're from the South.  We work hard.  We care about our neighbors.  We've been known to give the shirt off our backs.  We rally.  It's not just about football, ya know?!

And so, we help.  We help in the ways we can.  We give our money.  We give our items.  We give our time.  We give our thoughts and prayers.  These families have lost everything.  Dollars and clothes and the clearing of debris will not bring back their sons and daughters.  But it is one less thing these souls will have to worry about later.  Do what you can.

And while I am talking about doing what we can, please don't forget about the other family members.  These people also lost their pets.  If you know me, you know that I will oftentimes connect with animals before people.  There is something so basic in the relationship between an animal and a human.  There are no pretenses.  There is no "you scratch my back" mentality.  There is love and there is companionship.  There is duty and loyalty.

It is obvious that the humans are the primary objective in these situations.  Especially for those members of the communities affected.  I also believe that we should be doing what we can for those furry or 4 legged babies.  I mean, these babies do matter.  In some cases, the furbabies are the only family these people have.  I have read some amazing stories of animal rescues and reunions.  I've read about people taking their time and money to save these injured and scared animals.  It is truly commendable.

Since I am an animal person, I've put together some information on how you can help the furbabies in need.  They need us too.  Remember that.  (As a side note, please do not jump on the bandwagon that I am advocating the ignoring of helping human victims.  It's a simple fact that animals do not have a voice.)

The OK Humane Society is in need to supplies and monetary donations.  You can find information on their website www.okhumane.org.  A direct link to their needs can be followed here.

Animal Resource Center, Inc. in Ok - https://www.facebook.com/animalresourcecenter

Pet Food Pantry of Oklahoma City - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Food-Pantry-of-Oklahoma-City/14415251226717

Missing Pets in Moore - http://www.reddit.com/r/missingpetsinmoore/
Lost & Found Pets in OK - http://okclostpets.com/
Moore Oklahoma Tornado Lost and Found Animals - https://www.facebook.com/OKpets

Here in AR...the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission will have a community drop off from Tuesday through Friday at the following address:

1 Natural Resources Drive,
Little Rock, AR.

Below is a list of needed items:

Cages/crates
Paper Towels
Dog/cat food
Disposable feed bowls
Leashes and collars
Spray bottles
Gloves
Little boxes and kitty litter


I urge everyone to do what they can.  Any tiny bit will help.  And remember, it doesn't have to be money.  Materials and time are also needed.

Again...my thoughts go out to those affected by the recent severe weather in Oklahoma.  BB

Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me...what are YOUR thoughts??