Email me

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Building a Jewelry Display

Today, I wanted to tell you about my jewelry display. I am absolutely loving this. It's functional. You can decorate it any way you choose, so it makes a great decorative addition to your room.   You can also make this any size and change up the smaller details to fit your needs.

What you will need (for this particular style):
 *All items can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot.

- Sheet of thin plywood (depending on the size you want your display to be)
- 2 x 4 lumber (amount needed will also depend on the size of your display) *also, you will need the sides cut to create a frame for your back.
- various sized dowel rods
- hooks from the hardware section
- painter's tape
- paint (I used acrylic from the craft section at Wal-Mart)
- screws
- wood glue
- drill and saw



I knew I wanted a chevron background.  So I began by painting the plywood solid white.  It took a couple of coats.  After that had dried, I used the painter's tape to mark off where I wanted the board cut.  (I had to take it to my parents house because it's just not feasible for me to own a circular saw in my apartment!)






I went ahead and did my measurements and marked off my chevron stripes.  I first decided how many points I wanted (I regret not doing 2 full v's).  I used the vertical tape to mark the points.  Then I just connected the vertical tape with painter's tape and you get this!  At this point, the smartest thing to do would be to go back and trim the vertical tape off so you only have the chevron stripes in tape.  (I did not do this.  I was a moron and created a shit ton of extra work for myself)




I didn't have the patience to wait for the board to be cut, so I went ahead and painted my stripes. A very good tip I have learned to stop bleeding is to paint over your tapes edges with the color that is UNDER your tape.  That way, when the color bleeds, it will bleed the same color.  Once you have done that, you can paint your background.  I chose pink.  Peel your tape while the paint is still wet.

After the back dried, I took it to be cut down to the size I needed.



 I missed some photo ops. The next step would be to take your 2 x 4 pieces and screw them together to form a frame.  I primed my frame and started painting away.



Again, missed photo ops.  After the frame dried, I flipped it over.  Laid the back on top.  And screwed it all together.  Just a tip...make sure the boards you purchase aren't warped.  


After you have everything all together, you will get to add the details.  I added small white hooks to the top for necklaces.  Originally, I was going to put a rod all the way across, but I didn't like that it would interfere with the hanging necklaces.  I cut my dowels rods so that the larger ones would only go a small way across.  I drilled holes in the sides and screwed the dowel rods into the sides.  The tiny dowel rod was slide through drilled holes on either side.  I placed tiny dowel rods vertically into drilled holes on the bottom.  I used the wood glue to helped keep them secure.



I am very pleased with how this turned out.   I may at some point repaint the background.  But the design is awesome!!

Hope this inspired you to go build something pretty!!



Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me...what are YOUR thoughts??