Email me

Friday, June 14, 2013

Eating Clean

It really is no secret...I do not eat good foods.  I really never have.  I've always had this aversion to vegetables and I don't really like the sweetness of fruits.  Weird, eh?

I have been stuck between 171 and 175 (weight-wise) for months now.  And I really am sick of it.  All I want is to bust through to the 160s.  It just wasn't happening.

Plus, P was starting to crave junk...and avoid meals.  Which is no bueno.

I made a decision.  We needed a change.  I knew I was going to incorporate a shit ton of veggies into our diet and I knew I wanted what we ate to be balanced.  I did a little research (which is my thang!) on clean eating.  I've seen people talk about it...a lot.  I knew there was a lot of things not on the list...like sugar and other white stuff (flour, bread, etc).

Basically, clean eating is eating only non-processed foods (ie no more hot pockets or frozen taquitos).  The bulk of the diet is veggies and fruits.  I hate using the term diet.  I still don't know everything about eating clean.  And I am not doing this as strictly as others may.  I am not all about avoiding GMOs and eating organic.  I am not knocking those choices, but those are not my concern right now.

My concern is adding in veggies and healthier choices.  To start out, my goal is 50/50 clean.  So far, this week has been successful.

My number 1 way of getting my veggies and fruits will probably be smoothies.  I double triple quadruple LOVE smoothies...especially with spinach and mangos.   It's a great way to get several servings in one or two glasses.




 I saw a blog post (I can not remember the blog title...fail!) about this contraption on Amazon.  GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter.

 I thought this idea was awesome.  I really like spaghetti squash...so, why not use other veggies as noodles.  I really didn't see the need to pay 30 bucks.  I used my veggie slicer to julienne some cucumber.  Then I boiled it for a couple of minutes.  I'll be trying other veggies as noodles.  It's a great way to sneak them in.



 


I also tried my hand at turkey meatloaf.  It was pretty great.  I like making the meatloaf as muffins.  I also made some mashed cauliflower and cabbage.  As you can see on the plate, there were processed foods (mac n cheese, wheat buns).  I still think we've done well so far.





 I also tried out a couple new recipes from Pinterest.  I adored the veggie casserole dish.  I'll probably post the actual recipe next week.  The shrimp was...well...just meh.  But both were easy to make...and quick too.  Now, if only clean up were easy and quick!!





  As for snacks, my new fav is sunflower kernels.  Throw in some fruit and you have a great little filling snack or small lunch.  And P really likes them too, which is amazing!!

At the end of this first week of cleaner eating, I have to say that we've done pretty well.  I'm proud of P for not fighting me too terribly much.  And I'm proud of myself for going the whole week.  Now...let's see how the weekend goes, shall we?!?  Cause today we will be making some seriously non-clean snacks.  And I may eat them all. 

Have an exciting weekend!!


Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me...what are YOUR thoughts??